Melissa A Bowles PhD.
Director, Associate Professor of Second Language Acquisition and Teacher Education,Latin American and Caribbean Studies,Linguistics,Spanish and Portuguese, and Educational Psychology
Address: University of Illinois
Dept. of Spanish and Portuguese, MC-176
707 South Mathews Avenue
Urbana, IL 61801
Office: 4150C Foreign Languages Bldg.
- Telephone: (217) 244-3944
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Specializations / Research Interest(s)
- classroom second language acquisition
- heritage language acquisition
- language testing and assessment
- Georgetown University, Ph.D. (with distinction)
- Georgetown University, M.S.
- University of Virginia, B.A. (with highest distinction)
Distinctions / Awards
- Helen Corley Petit Scholar (AY2011-2012), College of Liberal Arts & Sciences
- Bowles, Melissa A. The think-aloud controversy in language acquisition research. . Routledge, 2010.
- Montrul, Silvina, and Melissa A. Bowles. "Instructed heritage language acquisition." The Routledge Handbook of Instructed Second Language Acquisition. . Ed. Shawn Loewen and Masatoshi Sato. New York: Routledge, 2017. 488-502.
- Bowles, Melissa A., and Rebecca J. Adams. "An interaction approach to learner-learner interaction in second and foreign language classrooms." Handbook on Classroom Discourse. . Ed. Numa Markee. Boston: Wiley, 2015. 198-212.
- Bowles, Melissa A., and Silvina A. Montrul. "Instructed L2 acquisition of Differential Object Marking in Spanish." Georgetown University Roundtable on Linguistics. . Washington, DC: Georgetown University Press, 2009.
- Bowles, Melissa A., and Silvina Montrul. "The role of explicit instruction in the L2 acquisition of the a-personal." Proceedings of the 2006 Hispanic Linguistics Symposium . . Somerville, MA: Cascadilla Press, 2008. 25-35.
- Montrul, Silvina, and Melissa A. Bowles. "Negative evidence in instructed heritage language acquisition: A preliminary study of Differential Object Marking ." Proceedings of the 2007 Second Language Research Forum. . Somerville, MA: Cascadilla Proceedings Project, 2008. 252-262.
- Leow, Ronald P., and Melissa A. Bowles. "Attention and awareness in SLA." Mind and context in adult second language acquisition: Methods, theory, and practice . . Washington, DC: Georgetown University Press, 2005. 179-203.
- Bowles, Melissa A., Rebecca J. Adams, and Paul D. Toth. "A comparison of L2-L2 and L2-HL interactions in Spanish language classrooms.." The Modern Language Journal 98.2 (2014): 497-517.
- Bowles, Melissa A. "Heritage Spanish speakers in university language courses: A decade of difference." ADFL Bulletin 43.1 (2014): 112-122.
- Bowles, Melissa A. "Exploring the role of modality: L2-heritage learner interactions in the Spanish language classroom. ." The Heritage Language Journal 8.1 (2011): 30-65.
- "Measuring implicit and explicit linguistic knowledge: What can heritage language learners contribute? ." Studies in Second Language Acquisition 33 (2011): 247-271.
- Bowles, Melissa A. "Concurrent verbal reports in second language research. ." Annual Review of Applied Linguistics, 30 (2010): 111-127.
- Montrul, Silvina, and Melissa A. Bowles. "Is grammar instruction beneficial for heritage language learners: Dative case marking in Spanish. ." The Heritage Language Journal 7.1 (2010): 47-73.
- Montrul, Silvina, and Melissa A. Bowles. "Back to basics: Incomplete knowledge of Differential Object Marking in Spanish heritage speakers. ." Bilingualism: Language and Cognition 12.3 (2009): 363-383.
- Bowles, Melissa A. "Task type and reactivity of verbal reports in SLA: A first look at an L2 task other than reading. ." Studies in Second Language Acquisition 30.3 (2008): 359-387.
- Bowles, Melissa A., and Ronald P. Leow. "Reactivity and type of verbal report in SLA research methodology: Expanding the scope of investigation. ." Studies in Second Language Acquisition 27.3 (2005): 415-440.
- Bowles, Melissa A. "Awareness." Encyclopedia of Second Language Acquisition. New York: Routledge, 2012.
- Bowles, Melissa A. "Protocol analysis." Encyclopedia of Second Language Acquisition. New York: Routledge, 2012.