Florencia Giglio Henshaw Ph.D.
Academic Professional of Second Language Acquisition and Teacher Education and Spanish and Portuguese
Address: 4080 FLB
Urbana, IL 61801
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
I was born and raised in Buenos Aires, Argentina. I moved to the US when I was 19 and have lived here ever since.
Specializations / Research Interest(s)
- Task-based interaction
- Computer-Assisted Language Learning
- Corrective feedback
- Second language writing
- Heritage language learners
- Teacher training
My primary research interests involve instructed adult second language acquisition of Spanish, both via computer-assisted instruction as well as in a formal classroom setting. The goal of my research is to empirically evaluate the extent to which different pedagogical tools may be beneficial to second language (L2) and heritage language (HL) learners. I am interested not only in the linguistic gains that may result from different pedagogical practices, but also in the learners' perceptions and attitudes.
- Ph.D., Second Language Acquisition and Teacher Education, UIUC
- M.A., Spanish Linguistics, UIUC
- B.A., Spanish, California State University San Marcos (Summa Cum Laude)
Distinctions / Awards
- ACTFL OPI Certified Tester
- Darlene F. Wolf Fellowship for outstanding academic achievement and teaching excellence
- Excellence in Language Instruction Award
- AAPPL Certified Rater
- Best Student Abstract, Georgetown University Round Table on Languages and Linguistics
- 11 Outstanding Mentions on “List of Teachers Ranked as Excellent by Their Students”
- Liberal Arts and Sciences Humanities Fellowship for academic excellence
- Best Graduate Student Paper in Linguistics, Department of Spanish, Italian, and Portuguese
- Provost's Faculty Retreat Grant to design and implement an instructional enhancement
- Teaching Advancement Board Travel Grant to attend the Symposium on Spanish as a Heritage Language
- Academic Professional Development Fund Travel Grant to attend the AATSP Annual Conference.
- Graduate College Conference Travel Grant to attend the 2009 Second Language Research Forum
- Henshaw, Florencia G. Comunicación escrita. . Pearson, 2014.
- Henshaw, Florencia G., and Melissa A. Bowles. Gramática práctica en (inter)acción. . McGraw-Hill, 2013.
- Henshaw, Florencia. "Online Courses for Heritage Learners: Best Practices and Lessons Learned." Advances in Spanish as a Heritage Language. . Ed. Diego Pascual. John Benjamins, 2015.
- "Effects of feedback timing in SLA: A computer-assisted study on the Spanish subjunctive." Implicit and explicit conditions, processes, and knowledge in SLA and bilingualism. . Georgetown University Press, 2011. 85-99.
- Henshaw, Florencia. "How effective are affective activities? Relative benefits of two types of structured input activities as part of a computer-delivered lesson on the Spanish subjunctive ." Language Teaching Research 16.3 (2012): 393-414.