Jerome L Packard
Professor of Second Language Acquisition and Teacher Education,Linguistics,LAS Global Studies,East Asian Languages and Cultures,Center for East Asian and Pacific Studies, and Center for Global Studies
Jerome Packard specializes in Chinese word structure, Chinese psycholinguistics, and Chinese language learning. Professor Packard has performed research on Chinese aphasia and dyslexia, the first-language acquisition of Chinese, and the acquisition of Chinese as a second language. Dr. Packard is the author of numerous publications on the Chinese language, including the books New Approaches to Chinese Word Formation, The Morphology of Chinese and Chinese Children's Reading Acquisition (with W. Li and J. Gaffney). Dr. Packard is also a contributor to Huang, C. and Shi, D. (Eds.). The Cambridge Grammar of the Chinese Language,and Wang, W. S-Y. and Sun, C. (Eds.). The Oxford Handbook of Chinese Linguistics.
Specializations / Research Interest(s)
- Chinese word structure, Chinese psycholinguistics, and Chinese language learning
Professor Packard has performed research on Chinese aphasia and dyslexia, the first-language acquisition of Chinese, and the acquisition of Chinese as a second language.
- BA Chinese Language and Literature, University of Massachusetts (1976)
- MA Linguistics, Cornell University (1982)
- PhD Linguistics, Cornell University (1984)
Distinctions / Awards
- 2/05 Faculty Research Exchange Fellow, UIUC/Peking University Exchange Program.
- 6//05 Keynote Lecture, Thirteenth International Conference on Chinese Linguistics, Leiden, The Netherlands.
- 5/12 Faculty Research Exchange Fellow, Center for Brain and Cognitive Sciences, Peking University.
- 10/02 ‘English Sentence Processing in Chinese Speakers of English as a Second Language’. UIUC Research Board ($14,391).
- 9/04 ‘The Effect of Orthographic Density on Word Reading Speed in Chinese’. UIUC Research Board ($7,407).
- 12/04 ‘ERP Correlates of Sentence Processing in Mandarin’. UIUC Research Board ($7,715).
- 12/06 Co-principal investigator (with Hiroko Yamashita and Yuki Hirose) NSF Conference Grant for International Conference on Head-final Structures ($17,915), convened at Rochester Institute of Technology, Rochester, NY, September, 2007)
- 3/10 ‘The Processing of Complex Structures by Second-language Learners’. UIUC Research Board ($20,350).
- 5/10 Higher Education Partner, US Department of Education Foreign Language Assistance Program (FLAP) grant awarded to Barrington 220 School District, Barrington Illinois. ($1,500,000).
- 5/12 ‘Neurophysiological Evidence of Gaps in Relative Clauses’. UIUC Research Board ($9,470).
- Packard, Jerome. The Morphology of Chinese. . New York: Cambridge University Press, 2000.
- Packard, Jerome. A Linguistic Analysis of Aphasic Chinese Speech. . Dordrecht: Kluwer, 1993.
- Packard, Jerome. "Space, Time and Asymmetry in Chinese." New Studies of Space and Quantification in Languages of China. . Ed. Dan Xu and Jingqi Fu. Dordrecht: Springer, 2015.
- Kim, Sun-A, Kiel Christianson, and Jerome Packard. "Working Memory in L2 Character Processing: The Case of Learning to Read Chinese." Working Memory in Second Language Acquisition and Processing. . Ed. Z. Wen, M. Mota, and A. McNeill. Bristol: Multilingual Matters, 2015.
- Packard, Jerome, Zheng Ye, and Xiaolin Zhou. "Filler-gap processing in Mandarin relative clauses: Evidence from Event-Related Potentials." Processing and Producing Head- final Structures. . Ed. Hiroko Yamashita, Yuki Hirose, and Jerome Packard. Dordrecht: Springer, 2011. 219-240.
- Wu, Sina, Jerome Packard, and Hua Shu. "Morphological Deficit and Dyslexia Subtypes in Chinese." Language Disorders in Speakers of Chinese. . Ed. Sam-Po Law, Brendan Weekes, and Anita Wong. New York: Multilingual Matters, 2009. 112-137.
- "The Linguistic Manifestation of Aphasia Syndromes in Chinese." Handbook of East Asian Psycholinguistics . . Ed. P. Li, L.H. Tan, E. Bates, and O. Tzeng. Cambridge, UK: Cambridge, 2006.
- Yamashita, H., Y. Hirose, and J. Packard. Processing and Producing Head-final Structures . . Dordrecht: Springer, 2011.
- Li, W., J. Packard, and J. Gaffney. Chinese Children’s Reading Acquisition. . Dordrecht, Holland: Kluwer Academic Publishers, 2002.
- Packard, Jerome. New Approaches to Chinese Word Formation. . New York: Mouton de Gruyter, 1998.
- Qian, Z., and J. Packard. "A working memory explanation for recency effects in Mandarin second-language sentence processing. ." 世界汉语教学30.1 (Chinese Teaching in the World) 30.1 (2016): 75-100.
- Kim, S., J. Packard, K. Christianson, R. Anderson, and J. Shin. "Orthographic Consistency and Individual Learner Differences in Second Language Literacy Acquisition." Reading and Writing (2016):
- Zou, L., J. Packard, Z. Xia, Y. Liu, and H. Shu. "Neural correlates of morphological processing in Chinese.." Frontiers in Human Neuroscience 9 (2015):
- Zhang, J. , R. Anderson, Q. Wang, J. Packard, X. Wu, S. Tang, and X. Ke. "Insight into the Structure of Compound Words among Speakers of Chinese and English. ." Applied Psycholinguistics 33.4 (2012): 753-779.
- Lin, T., R. Anderson, Y. Ku, K. Christianson, and J. Packard. "Chinese Children’s Concept of Word." Writing Systems Research 3 (2011): 41-57.
- Wu, X., R. Anderson, W. Li, X. Wu, H. Li, J. Zhang, Q. Zheng, J. Zhu, H. Shu, W. Jiang, X. Chen, Q. Wang, L. Lin, Y. He, J. Packard, and J. Gaffney. "Morphological Awareness and Chinese Children’s Literacy Development: An Intervention Study." Scientific Studies of Reading 13.1 (2009): 26–52.
- "Relative Clause Processing in L2 Speakers of Mandarin and English." Journal of the Chinese Language Teachers Association 43.2 (2008): 107-146.
- Packard, J., X. Chen, W. Li, X. Wu, J. Gaffney, H. Li, and R. Anderson. "Explicit instruction in orthographic structure and word morphology helps Chinese children learn to write characters." Reading and Writing 19.5 (2006): 457-487.
- Packard, Jerome. "Pragmatic Effects in the Chinese Lexicon." Rivista di Linguistica 15.2 (2003):
- Packard, Jerome. "Chinese Morphology." The Routledge Encyclopedia of the Chinese Language. London: Routledge, 2016.
- Packard, Jerome. "Chinese Morphology." The Routledge Handbook of Morphology. London: Routledge, 2016.
- Packard, Jerome. "Chinese Psycholinguistics." The Routledge Encyclopedia of the Chinese Language. London: Routledge, 2016.
- Packard, Jerome. "Lexical Word Formation." The Cambridge Grammar of the Chinese Language. New York: Cambridge University Press, 2016.
- Packard, Jerome. "Chinese Morphology." Oxford Handbook of Chinese Linguistics. Oxford, UK: Oxford University Press, 2015.
- Packard, Jerome. "Chinese as an Isolating Language." Encyclopedia of Language and Linguistics. 2nd ed. Oxford: Elsevier, 2006.