Mark Allen Dressman Ph.D.
Professor of Second Language Acquisition and Teacher Education,Center for African Studies, and Center for Global Studies
- Let's poem: The essential guide to teaching poetry in a high-stakes, multimodal world. . New York: Teachers College Press, 2010.
- Dressman, Mark. Using Social Theory in Educational Research: A Practical Guide. . London: Routledge, 2008.
- "Introduction: All in the details." Introduction. Research in the Teaching of English. . 2013.
- "Teacher education." Handbook of Qualitative Research in Education. . 2012.
- "Introduction: Continuity and innovation in literacy research." Introduction. Research in the Teaching of English. . 2012.
- "Introduction: One hundred years of research." Introduction. Research in the Teaching of English. . 2011.
- Dressman, Mark, and Phillip Wilder. "Wireless technology and the prospect of alternative education reform." Pierre Bourdieu and Literacy Education. . Ed. James Albright and Allan Luke. Mahwah, NJ: Erlbaum, 2007. 113-135.
- Dressman, Mark, and Sharon Tettegah. "Ordered by desire: School libraries in past and present centuries." New libraries and knowledge spaces: Critical perspectives on information and education . . Comp. Bertram Bruce. Ed. Cushla Kapitzke. Mahwah, NJ: Erlbaum, 2006. 37-56.
- Wilder, Phillip, and Mark Dressman. "New literacies, enduring challenges? The influence of capital on adolescent readers' internet practices." Reconceptualizing the Literacies in Adolescents' Lives. . Ed. Donna Alvermann, Kathleen Hinchman, David Moore, Stephen Phelps, and Diane Waff. Mahwah, NJ: Erlbaum, 2006. 205-230.
- Dressman, Mark. "Dewey and Bakhtin in dialogue: From Rosenblatt to a pedagogy of literature as social, aesthetic practice." Bakhtinian Perspectives on Language, Literacy, and Learning. . Ed. Arnetha Ball and Sarah Freedman. Cambridge, UK: Cambridge University Press, 2004. 34-52.
- Dressman, Mark, and Sarah J. McCarthey. "Toward a pragmatics of epistemology, methodology, and other people's theories in literacy research." Literacy Research Methodologies. . Ed. Nell Duke and Marla Mallette. New York: Guilford Press, 2004. 322-346.
- "Beyond disbelief: A confession of religion, technology, and academic conceit." Ethnography 14 (2013):
- "Toward technology-mediated transcultural education: Learning from a discussion of politics and culture between American and Moroccan students.." International Journal of Social Education 24.2 (2011):
- "Using Video Conferences to Diversify Classrooms Electronically." The Clearing House: A Journal of Educational Strategies, Issues, and Ideas 84.3 (2011):
- Faust, Mark, and Mark Dressman. "The other tradition: Populist perspectives on teaching poetry published in English Journal, 1912-2005." English Education 41 (2009): 114-134.
- Dressman, Mark. "Theoretically framed: Argument and desire in the production of general knowledge about literacy." Reading Research Quarterly 42 (2007): 332-363.
- Dressman, Mark, David O'Brien, Theresa Rogers, Gay Ivey, Phillip Wilder, Donna Alvermann, Elizabeth Moje, and Kevin Leander. "Problematizing adolescent literacies: A conversation among researchers." Yearbook of the National Reading Conference 55 (2006): 141-154.
- Dressman, Mark. "Teacher, teach thyself: Teacher research as gendered ethnographic practice." Ethnography 7 (2006): 329-356.
- Dressman, Mark, Phillip Wilder, and Julia J. Conner. "Theories of failure and the failure of theories: A cognitive/sociocultural/macrostructural study of eight struggling students." Research in the Teaching of English 40 (2005): 8-61.