Michéle E J Koven
Professor of Second Language Acquisition and Teacher Education,LAS Global Studies,Communication,French and Italian, and Center for Global Studies
Specializations / Research Interest(s)
- The role of culture in verbal interaction; how speakers perform and infer cultural identities in their own and others' talk; style shifting and code switching in discourse; bilingualism; intercultural communication; sociolinguistics; oral narrative
Professor Koven researches the relationships between identity and language practices in migrant communities. She is addresses how bilingual speakers enact multiple, culturally situated identities in talk, with a particular focus on narrative discourse.
- Ph.D., University of Chicago
- Selves in two languages: Bilingual Verbal Enactments of Identity in French and Portuguese. . Amsterdam: John Benjamins, 2007.
- "Narrative Socialization." Handbook on Language Socialization. . 2011.
- "Speaker Roles in Personal Narratives." Varieties of Narrative Analysis. . Thousand Oaks: Sage, 2011.
- Miller, P., and H. Fung. "Narrative reverberations: How participation in narrative practices co-creates persons and cultures." Handbook of Cultural Psychology. . Ed. S. Kitayama and D. Cohen. New York: Guilford Press, 2007.
- "“Feeling in Two Languages: A Comparative Analysis of a Bilingual’s Affective Displays in French and Portuguese.”." Bilingualism, Emotions, and Selves. . Ed. Aneta Pavlenko . Clevedon: Multilingual Matters, 2006. 84-117.
- Koven, Michele, and Isabelle Simoes Marques. "Performing and Evaluating (Non)modernities of Portuguese Migrant Figures on YouTube: The Case of Antonio de Carglouch." Language in Society 44.2 (2015): 213-242.
- Jaffe, Alexandra, Michele Koven, Sabina Perrino, and Cecile Vigouroux. "Heteroglossia, Performance, Power, and Participation." Language in Society 44.2 (2015): 135-139.
- "New Thoughts on Interviews." Annual Review of Anthropology (2014):
- "Antiracist, Modern Selves and Racist, Unmodern Others: Chronotopes of Modernity in Luso-descendants' Race Talk. ." Language and Communication (2013):
- Koven, Michele. "Speaking French in Portugal: An analysis of contested models of emigrant personhood in narratives about return migration and language use. ." Journal of Sociolinguistics 17.3 (2013): 324-354.
- "Comparing stories told in sociolinguistic interviews and spontaneous conversation." Language in Society 40.1 (2011): 75-89.
- "Managing Relationships and Identities through Forms of Address: What French-Portuguese Bilinguals Call their Parents in each Language." Language and Communication 29.4 (2009): 343-365.
- "Getting "Emotional" in Two Languages: Bilinguals' Verbal Performance of Affect in Narratives of Personal Experience. ." Text 24.4 (2004): 471-515.
- "Transnational Perspectives on Sociolinguistic Capital among Luso-descendants in France and Portugal.." American Ethnologist 31.2 (2004): 270-290.