Rebecca Foote Ph.D.
Assistant Professor of Second Language Acquisition and Teacher Education,Latin American and Caribbean Studies, and Center for Global Studies
Specializations / Research Interest(s)
- Second language acquisition
- L2 psycholinguistics
- Heritage language acquisition
My research centers on psycholinguistic aspects of second language acquisition, including bilingual and multilingual language processing and production. I am interested primarily in the nature of morphological processing and production in the L2 and heritage learner. Recent publications have focused on the production and processing of person, number, and gender agreement morphology by L2 and heritage Spanish speakers.
- University of Illinois, Ph.D.
- Rice University, M.A.
- University of Houston, B.A.
- Foote, Rebecca. "Transfer in L3 acquisition: The role of typology." Third language acquisition and universal grammar. . Multilingual Matters, 2009.
- Lorimor, Heidi, Carrie Jackson, and Rebecca Foote. "How gender affects number: Cue-based retrieval in agreement production." Language, Cognition, and Neuroscience (2015):
- Foote, Rebecca. "The production of gender agreement in native and L2 Spanish: The role of morphophonological form." Second Language Research 31 (2015): 343-373.
- Foote, Rebecca. "Age of acquisition and sensitivity to gender in Spanish word recognition." Language Acquisition 21.4 (2014): 365-385.
- Montrul, Silvina, Justin Davidson, Israel de la Fuente, and Rebecca Foote. "Early language experience facilitates the processing of gender agreement in Spanish heritage speakers." Bilingualism: Language and Cognition 17.1 (2014): 118-138.
- Montrul, Silvina, Israel de la Fuente, Justin Davidson, and Rebecca Foote. "The role of experience in the acquisition and production of diminutives and gender in Spanish: Evidence from L2 learners and heritage speakers." Second Language Research 29.1 (2013): 87-118.
- Montrul, Silvina , and Rebecca Foote. "Age of acquisition interactions in bilingual lexical access: A study of the weaker language of L2 learners and heritage speakers." International Journal of Bilingualism (2012): 8 . 2012. <http://ijb.sagepub.com/content/early/2012/05/03/1367006912443431>.
- Foote, Rebecca, and Kathryn Bock. "The role of morphology in subject-verb number agreement: A comparison of Mexican and Dominican Spanish." Language and Cogntivie Processes 27.3 (2012): 429-461.
- Foote, Rebecca. "Integrated knowledge of agreement in early and late English-Spanish bilinguals." Applied Psycholinguistics 32 (2011): 187-220.
- Foote, Rebecca. "Age of acquisition and proficiency as factors in language production: Agreement in bilinguals." Bilingualism: Language and Cognition 13.2 (2010): 99-118.
- Qasem, Mousa, and Rebecca Foote. "Crosslanguage lexical activation: A test of the Revised Hierarchical and morphological decomposition models in Arabic-English bilinguals." Studies in Second Language Acquisition 32.1 (2010): 111-140.