Under the direction of Prof. Anna María Escobar, I am currently working on my dissertation Differential Object Marking in Basque: grammaticalization, attitudes and ideological representations.
Specializations / Research Interest(s)
- Morphosyntax, Grammaticalization, Typology, Phonology, Intonation, Sociolinguistics, Language Contact, Language Variation, Language Identity, Language Ideology, Minorities, Basque Linguistics.
My dissertation focuses on the typologically common phenomenon of Differential Object Marking (DOM) in order to understand the processes by which Basque DOM has emerged as a contact-phenomenon in the speech of different Spanish-Basque bilinguals (native, early sequential and second language learners), but not among French-Basque bilinguals. Additionally, I investigate the linguistic attitudes behind each contact-scenario to understand how linguistic ideologies play a role in the development of those linguistic processes.
- PhD in Spanish Linguistics with SLATE certificate, University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign (Expected 2016)
- MA in Spanish Linguistics, University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign (2011)
- BA in English Philology, University of Deusto, Bilbao (2009)
- Graduate College Dissertation Completion Fellowship (AY 2015-2016)
- Darlene Wolf Fellowship (Spanish and Portuguese Department) (AY 2015-2016)
- Graduate College Nina Baym Dissertation Completion Fellowship (AY 2015-2016)
- Graduate College Dissertation Travel Grant (Summer 2015)
- Lyons, Kate, and Itxaso Rodriguez. "Public Legacies: Spanish-English (in)authenticity in the linguistic landscape of Pilsen, Chicago.." Penn Working Papers in Linguistics 21.2 (2015):
- "The acquisition of nominal and verbal inflectional morphology: Evidence from Basque ergativity in adult L2 speakers." Online Proceedings Supplement of the 39 Boston University Conference on Language Development. (2015): <http://www.bu.edu/bucld/files/2015/06/Rodriguez.pdf>.
- "Contact-induced phenomena in Gernika Basque: The case of Dative Over-Marking." Selected Proceedings of the 15th Hispanic Linguistics Symposium. (2013): 236-251. <http://www.lingref.com/cpp/hls/15/paper2889.pdf>.
- Rev. of The Challenges of a Bilingual Society in the Basque CountryJournal of Sociolinguistics 17.3 (2013): 407-4011. <http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/josl.12039/abstract>.