Dr. Xun Yan
ASST PROF of Second Language Acquisition and Teacher Education and Linguistics
Address: Department of Linguistics
4080 Foreign Languages Building, MC-168
707 S. Mathews Ave
Urbana, IL 61801
Office: 3045 Foreign Languages Building
- Telephone: 217-265-7903
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Specializations / Research Interest(s)
- Language testing
- English for academic purposes
- second language acquisition
My research interests include the development and quality control of post-admission language assessments, assessment literacy for language teachers, formulaic language acquisition and lexical development by L2 speakers, L2 pronunciation and intelligibility, and test score use in educational settings.
- Ph.D., English (Second Language Studies), Purdue University, 2015
- M.A., TESOL, Ohio State University, 2009
- B.A., English, Wuhan University, China, 2008
- Yan, Xun, and April Ginther. "Listeners and raters: Similarities and differences in evaluation of accented speech." Assessment in L2 Pronunciation. . Ed. Okim Kang and April Ginther. Routledge, 2017.
- Yan, Xun, Suthathip Thirakunkovit, Nancy Kauper, and April Ginther. "What do test takers say: Test-taker feedback as in put for quality control." Post-admission Language Assessments of University Students . . Ed. John Read. Springer, 2016. 113-136.
- Fan, Jinsong, and Xun Yan. "From test performance to language use: Using self-assessment to validate a high-stakes English proficiency test." The Asia-Pacific Education Researcher (2017): 1-13. <http://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s40299-017-0327-4 >.
- Yan, Xun, Maeda Yukiko, Jing Lv, and April Ginther. "Elicited imitation as a measure of second language proficiency: A narrative review and meta-analysis." Language Testing 33.4 (2016): 497-528.
- Banerjee, Jayanti, Xun Yan, Mark Chapman, and Heather Elliott. "Keeping up with the times: Revising and refreshing a writing rubric." Assessing Writing 26 (2015): 5-19.
- Zhang, Cong, Xun Yan, and Xiangdong Liu. "The development of EFL writing teaching and research in China: An update from the International Conference on English Language Teaching." Journal of Second Language Writing 30 (2015): 14-18.
- Yan, Xun. "An examination of rater performance on a local oral English proficiency test: A mixed-methods approach." Language Testing 31.4 (2014): 501-527.